The United States on Friday called for tougher international sanctions against North Korea at the UN Security Council, accusing Pyongyang of “increasingly dangerous provocation” after it tested a ballistic missile between the largest continents ever.
“The United States calls on all member states to fully implement existing Security Council resolutions,” said U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield during a meeting held to discuss North Korea.
“Due to the increasingly dangerous DPRK provocations, the United States will introduce … a Security Council resolution to update and strengthen the sanctions regime” adopted in December 2017, he said, using the official acronym for North Korea.
At that time “the council decided we would take further action in the event of a DPRK ICBM launch,” Thomas-Greenfield said.
“This is exactly what happened. So now is the time to take that action.”
The unanimously adopted text was voted on a month after Pyongyang launched its last previous intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), the Hwasong-15, which is considered powerful enough to reach the continental United States.
In April 2018, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inaugurated a moratorium on nuclear testing and long -range ballistic missile launches, noting that his goals had been achieved and declaring his country a fully nuclear state.
He however personally oversaw Thursday’s launch, which was reported by KCNA state media aimed at ensuring the country was ready for a “long -standing confrontation” with the United States.
The Group of Seven and the EU on Friday denounced what they said was North Korea’s “blatant violation” of its obligations under a Security Council resolution.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)